As promised, here is the long-awaited update of our lives.
The day we found the blue suburban (almost three months ago!)we had driven out to a school in Gilbert to drop off a resume and cover letter for a job that I applied for that morning. After dropping the documents and receiving a call just a few minutes later to come in for an interview two days from then, Abram drove into the neighborhood with the suburban. So the day after we bought the suburban I went for the interview and thought that it went great! I really enjoyed the people interviewing me, liked the school and the job description. To jump ahead, four days later I had the job. Now I'm two weeks into the school year and really enjoying it. :) I teach three orchestras, two women's choirs and a theory class and will get a drama club going soon. The theory class is my most difficult as it's made up of 15 boys and 4 girls and they're the kids that are mostly what teachers like to call slackers. Ha. So anything they can do to get out of working, they'll do. To make matters even more difficult, I actually have first year theory students and second year theory students in the same class. So I have to work with one half of the class while the other is supposed to work. That's when the screwing around happens. I'll become a better teacher dealing with it, that's for sure!
In other news, we were pre-approved for a home loan at only $10K less then we were hoping for. We think that we can find a decent house in that price but since we are very picky about the location we want (as in three and a half very specific neighborhoods), we're just waiting until we find something in that area. We've seen a couple that we loved but they were off the market by the time we were approved! We know the perfect house for us will come eventually.
Abram went back to school for the first time in almost 4 years. He hasn't been to school since right before we met! He's taking 18 credit hours at ASU with classes in German, Construction, Astronomy, and ROTC. Some he's already enjoying and others he's not so sure about.It's nice that he has something to do all day now other than sitting around watching TV and doing the occasional chore when it was needed. I will miss him having that time to do things around the house for me, though. :)
Oh in June I was also elected the co-chair of the Family Readiness Group (FRG) for Abram's National Guard Unit. The FRG mostly is responsible for fundraising for and putting on family events as well as supporting the families of the soldiers during deployment. I've been enjoying participating in that on the occasional weekend and this weekend we have an all expenses paid trip to Flagstaff for FRG school, where we'll learn how to do everything. Since all our officers except the chairperson were elected over the summer, we're all going as a unit, including the commander, and our husbands get to come, too. Yes, the FRG is pretty much all women. Oh and by all expenses paid I mean we pay for it and they reimburse us for it. It will sure be nice to get out of this extreme heat for a couple of days, though!
I think that's pretty much it for now. My summer was fun and filled with teaching summer camp and preparing for the school year. We're doing well and looking forward to what the near future holds for us!
When are you guys going to update this blog?
ReplyDelete-Ben